Campbell Cannery Tour
Origin of the Valley of Heart's Delight
Santa Clara County’s canning industry began in 1871 with Dr. James Dawson and his wife Eloise. From observation of the superior quality of fruits then grown in the valley, James and Eloise Dawson foresaw the marvelous possibilities of its climate and soils for fruit production. The Dawsons packed 350 cases of fruit, in their first season that same year.
Soon, more canneries would develop in the Valley including in Campbell. The Santa Clara Valley produced so much fresh fruit that some entrepreneurs experimented with preserving fruit by canning it instead of the easier form of drying it. These orchards would give rise to ways of preserving fruit through dry yards and industrial canning, putting Santa Clara Valley on the map and on the menu.
Finished with stop #1? Head over to stop #2 and check out the slideshow
Finished with stop #2? Head over to stop #3 and check out the slideshow
Finished with stop #3? Head over to stop #4 and check out the slideshow
Finished with stop #4? Head over to the final stop and check out the slideshow
Tour created by 2021 Summer Intern, Lindsey Hanson
Tour layout conceptualized by 2020 Summer Intern, Jillian Ferini